Resolution of Disputes in the area of Inheritance Law
Regulated under the Civil Law, inheritance law is a set of legal rules that regulate how inherited properties will be settled among the legal inheritors and other inheritors in the event of death of persons or declaration of absence.
The inheritance law groups inheritors into two as heirs and beneficiaries. Third volume of the Civil Law (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 495-628) is reserved for the inheritance law. The first chapter (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 495-574) sets out inheritors and part one (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 495-501) sets out heirs. Heirs are the blood relatives of the legator (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 495-498). These are the descendants (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 495), mother and father (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 496) and grandmother and grandfather (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 497) of the legator. The surviving spouse is also an heir (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 499). Again, the adopted child of the legator (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 500) and the government (Turkish Civil Law, Art. 501) are also heirs.
A beneficiary is not an heir of the legator but a person to whom the legator transfers his/her estate through testamentary disposition.
In the event the legator has not made any testamentary dispositions to take effect upon his/her death, the assets will be shared among the heirs as set out in the Civil Law. However, if the legator drew up a will or an inheritance contract prior to his/her death, the instructions in the will of the legator will be followed without prejudice to the reserved shares of the heirs.
In this context, our office offers legal services regarding any matter of inheritance law, including testamentary dispositions of the legator to take effect upon his/her death, determination of estate and resolution of joint ownership of the assets (partition) to distribute the assets between the inheritors, renunciation of inheritance procedures, and cancellation of ant disposition made by the legator in a manner that injures the reserved shares of the assets.
Legal Services We Offer in Area of Inheritance Law
Our office offers legal services related to inheritance law only in Adana city, and such services are listed below:
- Drawing up wills and inheritance contracts or action for cancellation of a will or inheritance contract,
- Obtaining the certificate of inheritance,
- Determining the assets bequeathed (determination of estate) resolution of joint ownership of the assets (partition) to distribute the assets between the inheritors,
- Action for cancellation of a disposition made if the decedent unlawfully transferred his/her assets to parties that are not inheritors,
- Renunciation of inheritance procedures if the decedent left debts behind,
- Procedures for disinheritance of inheritors with reserved shares through a testamentary disposition to take effect upon the death of the testator, and
- Actions for cancellation and reduction of testamentary disposition.